The work of CU-West in 2020 was focused on the sustainability of composites in order to be able to provide significant added value to our members. In concrete terms, the following priority projects were supported:
- Energetic and raw material recycling of CFRP waste to ensure residue-free recycling of carbon fibres - UFOPLAN project with the partners RWTH Aachen, KIT (Karlsruhe), TU Dresden, TH Nürnberg, Verein Deutscher Zementwerke, Martin GmbH für Umwelt- und Energietechnik, Indaver Deutschland GmbH, HeidelbergCement AG
- Release behavior and toxicity of CF under thermal and mechanical stress to ensure occupational safety and thus the usability of carbon fibers - BMBF project with the partners Karlsruhe Institute of Technology KIT (ITC), RWTH Aachen (TEER), Vitrocell Systems GmbH, Palas GmbH, Institut für Verbundwerkstoffe GmbH
- Carbon fibers based on renewable raw materials - Green2Black - support for the realization of the research project to realize the transformation of the plastics producing and processing industry to a bio-economic industry
In 2020, CU-West has organized and supported numerous events, including
- the CU theme week of "sustainability",
- the CU theme day "Carbon Fiber Diversity for Practice" and
- the CU theme day "Biocomposites with a focus on natural fiber reinforced plastics".
Composites United e.V. is one of the largest global networks for fiber-based, multi-material lightweight construction with international representatives in Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Japan, South Korea, China and India. The headquarters of the association is Berlin.