Professor Breuer, born in 1968, has studied mechanical engineering at the universities of Darmstadt, Manchester und Kaiserslautern, where he graduated 1993.
After his military service at the German Airforce he worked as scientific assistant to Prof. Dr.-Ing. Manfred Neitzel at the Institute of Composite Materials in Kaiserslautern.
After finalizing his dissertation on "Forming Technologies of Fabric Reinforced Themoplastic Composites" and receiving his doctorate degree from the University of Kaiserslautern in 1997, he accepted a position at the German Aerospace Center (DLR), where he worked on the development of advanced composite wing structures.
In 1999 he joined Airbus and worked as a project leader of new high lift devices structure technology.
In 2002 he accepted the position as head of composite technology Airbus Germany. From 2006 to 2010 he was leading the fuselage structure development at the Airbus headquarters in Toulouse.
2010 he responded a call of the Technical University of Kaiserslautern for a full professorship on composite technology as well as for the management of the Institute of Composite Materials.
He is married and has 3 children.
Offices and Memberships
- Head of Department "Materials and Manufacturing Technology" of the DGLR German Aerospace Society Lilienthal-Oberth e.V. (since 2019)
- Member of the German Council of Technology Rhineland-Palatinate (since 2017)
- Member of the expert group "Materials" of the AIF Association of Industrial Research Associations "Otto von Guericke" e.V. (since 2019)
- Reviewer of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (since 2014)
- Co-Editor of the journal "Composite Communications" CoCo, Elsevier (2019-2020)
- Member of the Executive Board of CU West, Composites United e.V. (since 2014)
- Reviewer of the German Aerospace Center DLR for Institute Evaluations (since 2012)
- Member of the research focus AME Advanced Materials Engineering of the University of Kaiserslautern (since 2014)
- Member of the European Economic Senate EWS (since 2015)
- Reviewer of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft DFG in Standard Practice and for International Research Training Groups (since 2010)
- Collaboration as expert of the Science Council (2017)
- Member of the Expert Committee of the Electric Power Program of the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy BMWI (since 2014)
- Member of the Science and Innovation Alliance e.V. (since 2010, board member until 2018)
- Member of the "Diemersteiner Kreis" (since 2010)
- Member of the Association of German Engineers VDI e.V. (since 1987)
- Member of the Rotary Hilfe e.V. (since 2012, head of social projects since 2014)
- Member of Airbus Aircraft Architects (2002-2010)