Professor Mitschang studied mechanical engineering at the University of Kaiserslautern. His primary field of study was theoretical mechanical engineering and he received his diploma in 1987.
From 1987 until 1990 he worked as postgraduate with Professor Dr.-Ing. Rainer Nordmann. In March 1990 he completed his doctorate on a topic out of the rotor dynamic range. During this period he also held a position as development engineer with G.M. PFAFF AG in Kaiserslautern. After receipt of his doctor's degree he gathered experience in different work areas at Pfaff AG. From 1990 until 1991 he was employed as Group Leader, Structural Dynamics, in the department "research and development". From 1991 until 1994 he was head of the department "handling technology", and until March 1996 responsible for the areas "technology-development and technical analysis" as well as "preliminary product development".
1996 he transferred to the Institute for Composite Materials as Group Leader of the Manufacturing Science Department. In 1999 he was promoted to Research Director, Manufacturing Science.
2003 he was appointed as honorary professor and 2010 as university professor at the University of Kaiserslautern.
He is married and has 2 children.
Offices and Memberships
- Member of the Verein Deutscher Ingenieure (VDI)
- Member of the Society for the Advancement of Materials and Process Engineering SAMPE
- Member of the European Society for Composite Materials (ESCM)
- Elected Member of the Councils der European Society for Composite Materials (ESCM) from 2011-2014
- Vice Chair der International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM-19)
- Member of the Editorial Board Journal of Polymer and Polymer Composites
- Member of the Editorial Board International Journal of Applied Science and Technology
- Member of the Editorial Board Journals Advanced Manufacturing: Polymer & Composites Science
- Member of the international Scientific Board der European Conference on Composite Materials (ECCM) from 2011-2014
- Member of the international Scientific Board der International Conference on Flow Processes in Composite Materials (FPCM)
- Member of the international Scientific Board der International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM) from 2010-2017
- Member of the international Scientific Board der International Conference and Exhibition on Thermoplastic Composites (ITHEC)
- Reviewer of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG)
- Reviewer of the Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF)
- Reviewer of the Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Technologie (BMWi)
- Reviewer of different funding agencies federal states
- Reviewer of the Steinbeis-Stiftung
- Reviewer of the Stiftung Industrieforschung
- Reviewer of the Fonds zur Förderung der wissenschaftlichen Forschung (FWF), Österreich
- Evaluator for research proposals in Greece
- Reviewer of the Science Foundation, Ireland
- Reviewer of the Technology Foundation STW, Niederlande
- Reviewer of the ETH Zurich Research Commission for scientific evaluation
- Reviewer of the South Africa’s National Research Foundation
- Reviewer of the NSERC Discovery Grant, Kanada
- Reviewer of the New Zealand Ministry of Science and Innovation (MSI)
- Reviewer of the Journals: Composites Science and Technology, Composites Part A, Compposites Part B, Express Polymer Letters, Polymer and Polymer Composites, Journal of Thermoplastic Composites, Journal of Composites Materials, Journal of Technical Textiles, Journal of the Textile Institute, International Materials Reviews, Journal Polymer Composites, Journal of Polymer and Polymer Composites, International Materials Reviews, Advanced Manufacturing Polymer and Composites Science, Zeitschrift für Kunststofftechnik and others